Sunday, September 12, 2010

Loopy Lupron... I've come to grips with it. You do too!!

So I started my first round of hormones this week!! I think it was last week when Dawn and I talked and we got my meds ordered over the phone and delivered the very next day. Dawn also sent me a calender that pretty much spells out for me what I'm supposed to take, when I'm supposed to take it and how much. So on Wednesday the 8th I started taking 20U of the Lupron injections.  I take that every morning till the 18th and then my dosage goes down to 5U.

The Lupron needle is very small. Its the same kind of needle they use for diabetics. But even though it is so small I was still so nervous the first day I had to give it to myself! I made my mom come over and keep the kids entertained while I tried to give it to myself cause I really didn't want to be interrupted. What could have taken less than a minute ended up taking more about 30 minutes! I pricked myself about 4 or 5 times trying to get it in but then chickened out at the last minute. I finally did it though! It didn't hurt at all and I was very proud of myself. I was so proud of myself that I went and bought myself a cute skirt at Target and club supreme at Jersey Mikes! Since then I haven't had any problems giving it to myself.

I have had a few side effects from it. I thought it was funny cause Dawn said that there would be no side effects but the psychiatrist  in Minnesotta said that it sometimes messes with people nerves which made me a little nervous since in the past I have already had anxiety problems. Since I've started taking it I have felt 2 side effects, fatigue and mood swings. Heres the interesting part. I have to take the Lupron at the same time every morning. By noon is when I start feeling fatigued and have to take a nap. Luckily Alex has been taking only one nap everyday that last for about 3-4 hours after lunch so when he goes down for his nap I turn on a movie for Nevaeh and I go take a nap myself. She is pretty good about letting me take naps.

About 4pm is when I start feeling a little moody. I'm either sad or really mad and it last for about 20 minutes. So stay clear of me between 4 and 4:30!

By 5 I get a burst of energy! I feel like I could pick up the house and throw it. Kinda like a female Hercules!! And then at 8:30 I'm having another mood swing. I feel better once I lay down and chill.

How about that for side effects?? I've been a little sensitive and cried at least once or twice a day. Jon has had to apologize for something silly everyday since I started this stuff. I have 6 more days taking 20U so I'm thinking when I go down to 5U I'll be back to normal! Hopefully! I make no promises. I do have 2 more hormones to get through that I haven't even started yet! So I've discovered that this will not only be an interesting journey for me but for everyone else around me too!

This is what we have to look forward to the next couple of weeks....

September 17th- I have an appointment with the Nashville Fertility Clinic. They are going to check to see if my endometrial layer is thick. Think thick!!
September 18th- Change Lupron dosage from 20U to 5U, start taking 2mg of Estrace every morning.
September 23rd- Start taking Estrace twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night.
September 27th- Start taking Estrace 3 times a day. Once in the morning, once at noon and once at night.
September 29th- Stop taking the Lupron.
October 1st- I have another appointment with the Nashville Fertility Clinic to check on my endometrial layer.

As of now our transfer date is October 15th. Angie will have her eggs retrieved 5 days before the transfer and that is when I start taking the progesterone injections. That date isn't certain yet but that is what it looks like so far.

Everything is moving right along. Before you know all the medications will be over and I could be pregnant with Angie's baby. That is so weird to say!!